Last week, our criminal defense lawyers at the Lake of the Ozarks went over a few of the frequently asked questions we received. This week we are going to continue that by answering more frequently asked questions in this week’s blog. Deputy and Mizell is here for you. If you need to get more of your criminal defense related questions answered, call our Lake of the Ozarks law firm today for your free consultation. We can be reached at 573-346-9990.  

Criminal Defense FAQs: Part 2

What is the bail process?

Depending on the offense, there may be no need for a bond hearing because Missouri courts have bail schedules that include amounts determined for most misdemeanors. If the bail amount is known, the defendant can either post a cash bond or contact a co-signer or bail bond company to arrange for a surety bond or property bond. More serious felonies require at least an overnight stay for a bond hearing.

Do I really need to hire a criminal defense lawyer?

Generally, criminal charges will have a significant impact on all areas of a person’s life, profession, family, education, etc. It is recommended to obtain a criminal defense lawyer to ensure the matter is addressed properly and the potential negative consequences are minimized. The lawyers at Deputy & Mizell are highly experienced in criminal defense cases. Reach out to speak with one of our attorneys about your case.

Do I still need a lawyer if I plan on pleading guilty or am offered a plea bargain?

It is critical to speak with a lawyer before making any decisions about your plea. Any plea bargain needs to be carefully evaluated. A lawyer will ensure that your rights have been protected and that you understand the short term and long term consequences of the plea.

What if the police didn’t read me my Miranda rights?

Failure to read you your rights makes anything the police ask you regarding your case null and void and inadmissible in the eyes of the courts. It doesn’t matter where the police interrogate you — if they haven’t read you your rights, whatever you tell them is not allowed into court records as evidence.

How should I assert my right to remain silent if the police decide to question me?

You can simply state to the authorities that you are pleading your Fifth Amendment right to remain silent. When you plead the Fifth, the police have no right to make you answer any questions. If you are harassed by the police after informing them that you are not speaking without a lawyer present, you may be able to have the case dismissed on a violation of your civil rights.

If I am charged with a crime can I be forced to provide physical examples?

Yes, you can. Though many people feel that the involuntary usage of bodily and physical examples by the authorities is a violation of our civil rights, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the Fifth Amendment is regarding communication and does not include physical samples.

How long do criminal cases take to resolve?

The amount of time the entire criminal court process takes varies case-by-case. For example, a misdemeanor case may be resolved from initial arrest to a plea offer within a month, or a felony trial could linger without resolution for over a year. There is really no way to determine exactly how long your specific case will take.

All of us here at Deputy and Mizell hope you found this blog helpful. We are here to answer any legal related questions you may have. Give us a call today for your free consultation. We can be reached at our Lebanon office at 417-532-2191 or our Camdenton office at 573-346-9990.


Contact Deputy & Mizell, LLC to schedule your private (FREE) consultation today.

Representing Clients Across the Lake of the Ozarks Region

                                             Lebanon: 417-532-2191                                               

Camdenton: 573-346-9990