A DWI is a major offense and is taken very seriously in the state of Missouri. Driving while intoxicated can make a significant impact on someone’s life and we encourage everyone to drive responsibly. There are so many consequences involved with this serious offense and you need to be aware of them. If you ever find yourself in a situation involving a DWI or Driving While Intoxicated, it’s important to know what can come of it and how you can defend yourself in a court of law. In this blog, we will discuss the details of what a DWI is, possible outcomes of Driving While Intoxicated and DWI legal defense at the Lake of the Ozarks.
DWIs, DUIs, and OUIs
A DWI can sometimes be referred to as a DUI, Driving Under the Influence. OUI is Operating Under the Influence. In the state of Missouri, a DWI is defined as driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of:
- .02% or more, if you are a minor
- .04% or more, if you are driving a commercial vehicle
- .08% or more under all other driving scenarios
Please note: The judge can deem you with a DWI if you are driving with a lower BAC than what’s stated above, depending on the circumstances.
Possible Outcomes of a DWI
A DWI is a serious offense and should not be taken lightly. Penalties or outcomes for such can include:
- Jail time
- Loss of your license
- Increased auto insurance rates
- Loss of a CDL (Commercial Drivers License)
In addition to the penalties set forth by the court, the Department of Revenue has a set sequence of penalties when a DWI takes place.
- For the 1st offense, your license may be suspended up to 90 days.
- For the 2nd offense, no matter how much time has passed since last offense, your license may be revoked for up to 1 year.
- For a 2nd offense, within 5 years of the 1st offense, your driver license may be canceled for 5 years.
- For a 3rd offense or subsequent DWI, your driver’s license may be canceled for 10 years.
Penalties can vary depending on the nature of your offense. If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, seek an experienced DWI attorney at the Lake of the Ozarks as soon as possible.
It is crucial that you have a strong representation, a mid-Missouri DWI attorney that knows the law and has the ability to protect your rights. The attorneys at Deputy and Mizell provide proactive, aggressive representation to anyone facing charges for a Missouri drunk driving offense. Whether you are a resident of the Lake of the Ozarks or just in the area on vacation and happened to have an unfortunate situation like this occur, we are ready to help you.
Contact Deputy & Mizell, LLC to schedule your private (FREE) consultation today.
Representing Clients Across the Lake of the Ozarks Region
Lebanon: 417-532-2191 Facebook
Camdenton: 573-346-9990 Twitter
Tuscumbia: 573-369-0001 Google+