In today’s new “temporary” normal, there are so many unknowns with the COVID-19 pandemic. In the world of criminal defense, our Lake of the Ozarks law firm is here to make a few of those unknowns known today, in this week’s blog. To get your questions answered that are about criminal defense at the Lake of the Ozarks, call Deputy and Mizell today at 573-346-9990.
Criminal Defense – Making The Unknown Known
- Typically, you will be brought to the police station and “booked.”
- The police will take personal, historical, and biographical information to see if you have any warrants or criminal history.
DURING YOUR ARRAIGNMENT…
- After submitting your plea, the judge sets a date for the next procedural event in your case.
- The arraignment is where the prosecutors will use the information gathered by the police to present to the judge whether or not you can be released from custody and if bail/bond is required.
Please note: If you do not already have a criminal defense attorney, the judge will appoint one to you.
GET EXPERIENCED LEGAL REPRESENTATION…
- It’s almost always better to have a lawyer present even though it may not be required.
- The courts will give you a formal account of your charges even if you don’t have a lawyer at your arraignment.
YOUR CASE COULD GO TO TRIAL…
- Every person accused of a crime has an absolute right to a trial by jury.
- Most criminal cases are resolved by agreement between the prosecution and the defense, usually during the pre-trial negotiation phase of the case.
- The purpose of a pre-trial conference is for the prosecutor, your defense attorney, and the judge to meet and discuss a possible plea bargain.
IF YOU ARE PLEADING GUILTY OR ARE OFFERED A PLEA BARGAIN…
- It is critical to speak with a lawyer before making any decisions about your plea.
- Any plea bargain needs to be carefully evaluated.
- A lawyer will ensure that your rights have been protected and that you understand the short term and long term consequences of the plea.
All of us here at Deputy and Mizell hope that you are being as safe as you can be during this pandemic. If you have any legal questions during this time, we are closed to the public but we are still taking phone calls. In regard to criminal defense, please note that generally, criminal charges will have a significant impact on all areas of a person’s life, profession, family, education, etc. It is recommended to obtain a criminal defense lawyer to ensure the matter is addressed properly and the potential negative consequences are minimized. The lawyers at Deputy & Mizell are highly experienced in criminal defense cases. Reach out to speak with one of our attorneys about your case. Please call us at one of our offices listed below and we will help you however we can. Don’t be confused about any legal matter and get the clarification you deserve at Deputy and Mizell.
Contact Deputy & Mizell, LLC to schedule your private (FREE) consultation today.
Representing Clients Across the Lake of the Ozarks Region