While no one wants to think about the possibility of a surgical error occurring, the unfortunate reality is that they do and more often then you probably think. The truth is that these healthcare professionals are human, and mistakes happen, when they do, however, it’s important that you realize, as the patient, you have legal rights. If you or someone you know has suffered from a surgical error, call Deputy and Mizell. Our medical malpractice attorneys at the Lake of the Ozarks are here to give you an overview of surgical errors that can happen and what to do, legally, if you are unfortunate enough to suffer from one.
Different Types of Surgical Errors
Surgical errors can come in many forms, such as:
• Nerve disruption during surgery
• Removal of the wrong organ or body part
• Cross contamination from surgical instruments
• Surgery on the wrong patient
• Left a piece of surgical equipment within the patient
• Too much or too little anesthesia was used
• Nerve damage from physical error
• Accidental perforation of internal organ
Any one of these mistakes occurring can put an awful financial strain on you or your loved ones and while doctors are human, and mistakes happen – we here at Deputy & Mizell feel that nobody is above the law when the health and safety of innocent people are at stake. These surgical mistakes are unthinkable, but why do they happen?
Causes of Different Types of Surgical Errors
• Lack of surgical experience
• Lack of preparation for surgery
• Miscommunication between healthcare professionals
• Taking “shortcuts” while performing a surgery
• The surgeon was impaired by drugs or alcohol
• Neglect of ethics code
• The surgeon wasn’t well-rested
Surgeries are extremely important to the overall well-being of our health. The surgeons we trust to handle these significant procedures have a huge responsibility and this should be taken with the utmost caution and sincerity.
What Can I Do Legally If I Suffered from a Surgical Error?
Consult with an experienced medical malpractice attorney at the Lake of the Ozarks as soon as possible. This is not a matter to be taken lightly and we here at Deputy & Mizell have no problem taking on major health care organizations and holding them legally responsible for their actions when they cause serious or even fatal injuries. We haven’t only taken on healthcare organizations for surgical errors, but also for:
• Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
• Childbirth injuries, including cerebral palsy and Erb’s palsy
• Prescription medication errors
• Anesthesia errors
• Failure to diagnose a serious medical condition
When you hire our firm, we will take the time to fully investigate the matter and seek to hold all negligent parties accountable. At the law firm of Deputy & Mizell, L.L.C., we represent clients throughout the Lake of the Ozarks region in a broad range of medical negligence cases. We have successfully pursued claims against doctors, nurses, surgeons, chiropractors, dentists, pharmacists and others on behalf of our clients. For a free consultation, call Deputy & Mizell at 417-532-2191.
Contact Deputy & Mizell, LLC to schedule your private (FREE) consultation today.
Representing Clients Across the Lake of the Ozarks Region
Lebanon: 417-532-2191 Facebook
Camdenton: 573-346-9990 Twitter
Eldon: 573-227-3788 Google+