If you’ve ever driven east or west on Interstate 44, you are probably aware that this corridor is often densely populated by semi-trucks. Semis are a common sight along many of our other central Missouri roads as well.
Because of their immense size, tractor trailers pose a particular threat to other travelers. If you are involved in an accident with a semi-truck, chances are that the damages may be severe. In the event that you are or someone you love is injured by the driver of a semi-truck, it is important that you familiarize yourself with some basic information about truck accidents. Our truck accident attorneys in Lebanon MO are here to help.
1. Proving Negligence Is Essential
As with all types of personal injury cases, you must prove negligence on behalf of the other party (or parties) in order to secure financial compensation for your damages. Semi-truck drivers are held to strict “duty of care” guidelines under federal law. If you can prove that the driver committed negligence while operating his truck, you will likely have solid ground for a truck accident claim.
2. The Driver’s Log Book Contains Important Information
All truckers are required to maintain a driving log book that dictates how many miles and hours were driven per day. By law, truck drivers are restricted to a maximum of 11 hours per day, which equates to a maximum of 77 hours per week. However, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reveals that many drivers disobey these restrictions and work a greater number of hours than is permitted. If you can prove that the driver involved in your accident violated these restrictions, you will significantly strengthen your case.
3. The Damages May Be Extensive
In a personal injury sense, the term “damages” refers to the financial value of the consequences injured parties face as a result of the accident. It can include any of the following:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Funeral costs
- Vehicle repair costs
- Loss of quality of life
- Associated pain and suffering
- We can walk you through the process of seeking compensation to cover all accident-related expenses, and work to ensure that your rights are protected throughout the legal process.
- We have significant experience dealing with insurance companies in these matters, and are knowledgeable about what steps to take to ensure that you aren’t taken advantage of.
- We have obtained several multimillion-dollar settlements on behalf of individuals who have been injured in truck accidents, and family members who have lost a loved one in a fatal semi accident.